Optimizing Testing for Agile
Functional and regression testing can cause delays and challenges for Agile teams. Often, teams spend the full sprint on regression. The increased time and efforts add up to the costs. How can you create an effective regression strategy for agile teams?
- Prioritize test cases with critical functionality and core features and those that pose bigger risks of failure
- Choose test cases that have the highest code coverage or those that had the maximum number of defects in the past.
- Create a test-first culture. So that developers create automated unit tests for new code.
- Use Continuous Integration server to run unit and integration tests for every build.
- Always ensure that your final check off includes regression testing and that all software changes have passed regression tests.
Functional and regression tests are ideal candidates for test automation. They need to be repeated often and are comparatively stable. Automating your functional and regression testing suite allows you test in parallel or on short notice and ensuring their continuous integration.
It is one of the most important aspects of testing because it helps to ensure the overall quality at various stages in the software testing lifecycle.