Automated testing tools have shot to stardom following the widespread adoption of agile and DevOps methods. Businesses on their digital acceleration journey understand that test automation provides the momentum they need. With the right toolset and strategy, organizations can position themselves to offer the best of quality, agility and efficiency.
This has naturally led to a thriving tools ecosystem that offers great range and diversity in automated testing tools. It is therefore important to take stock of available tools in the market and recognize some of the top performers. We bring you the top 5 automated testing tools:
Selenium is an open-source automated testing tool for all web application-based testing. It is often the preferred automation framework for web automation testers, especially those with complex and progressive scripting skills. Owing to its powerful and exhaustive feature set it is often the core framework for other popular automation tools.
- Combination of Tools and Domain Specific Language
- Multiple web browser support
- Flexible language that supports execution of test cases on various OS
- Parallel test execution to save time
- Fewer resource requirement vis-à-vis other tools
QMetry Automation Studio
QMetry Automation Studio(QAS) supports your continuous testing and continuous delivery strategy by providing an omni-channel test automation solution. It allows software development teams to seamlessly automate, execute and analyze test results on multiple channels be it desktop, web or mobile. QAS is built on top of open source test automation frameworks like Selenium and Appium to bring structure, efficiency and reusability to test automation.
QMetry Automation Studio helps both manual and automated QA functions in developing highly maintainable and repeatable tests that utilize reusable test assets, proper modularity and semantic structure. One core distinction with QAS is its seamless integration with the Wisdom tool for AI-driven predictive analysis and actionable intelligence.
- Improved time to market by quick authoring of automation tests and parallel execution
- Support for Behavior-Driven Development and Test-Driven Development
- Object spy and object repository validation right within the IDE
- Web recording and playback
- Auto-code generation with exploratory testing
- UI and visual component validation via automated testing to ensure data integrity across channels and devices ensuring data integrity across devices and channels.
- Integration with Selenium/Appium and CI/CD tools
Katalon Studio is a complete solution for automated testing across mobile, web and APIs. It provides a full feature set for test automation from recording actions, creation of test cases, generation of test scripts, execution and reporting. Katalon studio works both on Windows and MacOS to support automated testing needs for iOS and Android apps, web apps for all modern browsers and API services.
- Support for various levels of tester skill set
- SDLC Integration with CI/CD processes and other tools like qTest, Jira, Jenkins
- Analytics provides users with comprehensive test execution reports
- Built-in project templates for organizing test cases, object repository and keywords
Cucumber is an open-source tool designed on the principle of Behavior Driven Development(BDD). One of the key features of Cucumber is automated acceptance testing by running the examples which best describe the behavior of the application. While Cucumber is scripted in Ruby, it supports a few other languages such as Java and .NET. It is ideally suited for when you need automation of functional validation in lucid, natural, English like format for all team members.
- Merges specification and test documentation into a single source of truth
- Always automatically test and updates specifications
- Executable specifications and BDD support collaboration among teams
Unified Functional Testing(UFT)
HP’s UFT is now rebranded as Micro Focus UFT following the merger of its software business. UFT is a popular automated testing tool for functional testing. It is aimed at using test automation to make manual testing more efficient, allowing developers and testers collaborate. It simplifies functional testing and offers a broad range of technology support for major software apps and environments.
- Crossbrowser and multi-platform technology support
- Optimized distributed testing to help distributed test execution
- Visual test flows
- Image based object recognition
- Keyword or script-based testing
With a wide and exhaustive choice of automated testing tools, there is always just the right tool for your business. If you are making the switch from manual to automated testing or looking to understand the efficiencies that test automation can deliver, contact us to arrange for a consultation. You can also download the free trial for QMetry Automation Studio.