The QMetry Test Manager tool and its easy to use UI have been very helpful for us. QMetry Test Manager has helped us to manage the collaboration of test cases and made it easy to assign and run test cases.
TJ DongSenior Software QA Lead j2Global
As the QA team grew and time to market pressures increased, the Excel based test management process became cumbersome with several inefficiencies.
Why QMetry Test Manager
- Intuitive user interface
- Bi-directional integration with JIRA
- Centralized repository of test assets
j2 Global Communications provides a variety of business-critical communications and storage messaging services through its global communications/telephony/messaging network. j2 Global Communications offers a complete array of unified-messaging and communications services, including faxing and voicemail solutions, web-initiated conference calling, storage messaging services.
j2 Global’s QA team ensures quality for the company’s websites that deal with changes in billing, payment, email systems, messaging and several other mission critical projects. The team was using MS Excel in conjunction with Confluence to manage the testing process. Some of the key challenges included:
- Collaboration: With distributed QA and development teams, there was no way to communicate and collaborate to maximize their testing efforts.
- Availability: The client tried to store Excel sheets in a centralized location, but accessibility and availability remained a challenge.
- Visibility: There was no way for QA managers and other team members to see the test progress in real time or to easily create comprehensive reports.
- Different structures: Since all team members were working independently, it was very difficult to enforce standards and the test assets would often end up being in different structures.
j2 Global Communications researched various solutions available in the market that could potentially solve the problems the QA team was facing. The company had the following main considerations as selection criteria:
- Integration with JIRA defect tracker: j2 Global was already using JIRA as their defect tracker and wanted to leverage their existing investments rather than switching to another defect tracker.
- Usability: The Company wanted to waste no time in starting to organize its testing. Hence, the UI needed to be intuitive and should require minimum training to get up and running.
- Adaptability: j2 Global did not want to change the workflow of applications to suit the test management tool, but rather wanted the tool to adapt to their workflow and processes.
- Powerful test case management: The number and complexity of test cases in j2 Global’s testing environment required comprehensive test case management capabilities.
- Cost efficiency: This would be the first test management tool implementation by the QA team at j2 Global, so the company was looking for a solution that would fit within their budget.
- Reporting: Monitoring the testing process and progress was very important for optimization and providing stakeholders with the required visibility.
- j2 Global evaluated several test management tools including QaTraq and ApTest among others before selecting QMetry Test Manager as their tool of choice.
j2 Global was highly impressed with QMetry Test Manager’s intuitive interface:
Another main consideration for j2 Global was the integration with their defect tracking tool JIRA. QMetry Test Manager’s bi-directional integration with JIRA provides a seamless experience to the end users, regardless of whether they are logged in from JIRA or from QMetry Test Manager.“Another feature that we really liked about QMetry Test Manager was its integration with JIRA,” said TJ, “this, along with powerful test case management, test plans and requirements management modules, addressed all the challenges we were facing and made our decision very easy.
QMetry Test Manager’s centralized repository of test assets like test cases, test plans, reports etc has ensured availability and accessibility around the clock, from anywhere. The QA team can now generate, export, email and print a large number of reports to communicate test progress to other team members. Integration with JIRA provides an effective communication channel for QA and development teams for better collaboration. QMetry Test Manager’s version control and change history enables the QA team to keep track of the changes made and all members are updated in real time.
QMetry Test Manager’s workflow and test plan management has helped j2 Global to set a standard process across the testing cycle, instead of using an ad hoc process. This has also helped them to bring consistency across the board. The Test Suite module allows testers to choose different platforms and execute multiple tests on each of the platforms.
QMetry Test Manager is now an integral part of j2 Global’s QA process and has helped them to organize their test process and optimize testing efforts.